Frequently asked questions
Questions and answers
- For construction machinery attachments, you can download individual product brochures free of charge from our website.
- For loader crane attachments we offer a complete catalog.
To the catalog
The DMS product name is made up of three specifications:
- Product type (in this case Sorting Grab = SG)
- Excavator class (in this case 2 t = 20)
- Shell width (in this case 300 mm = 30)
If the attachment has a swinging pendulum mount, the name ends with ‘P’ (e. g. GL3535P). The Manipulator is a special case: Here, the product name shows the smallest and largest clamping diameter for its load (MP38-180 = 38–180 mm diameter).
Since March 2020, screw protection by means of recesses and raised walls has been installed as standard in every grab attachment.
DMS does not offer exchangeable shells, because our experience has shown that only few customers actually use the possibility of a shell exchange system. Our selection of quick-install accessories makes the grab attachments even more versatile and universally usable without the need for changing shells.
The grease reservoirs in the small recesses of our bushings already provide self-lubrication. However, to ensure the best possible running properties even in the absence of lubrication, we use brass as the material. As a result, the bushing is softer than the pin inside it and yields, while the pin is subject to less wear. The eventual replacement of the bushing is significantly less expensive compared to the replacement of a pin.
The Swing Damper slows down the swinging movement of the grab more quickly after jerky and fast movements. The grab comes to a stop and can be repositioned more quickly. When the grab is uncoupled, there is the added advantage that the pendulum joint won’t tip to the side and can be easily reattached.
No, because 98% of the work does not require a lock valve and users would not have the same level of precision control when working with a lock valve installed.
- 300mm (GS10030P / Ladekran GS10030P)
- 400mm (GS10040P / Ladekran GS10040P)
- 500mm (GS10050P / Ladekran GS10050P)
- 600mm (GS10060P / Ladekran GS10060P)
This refers to the locking position of the shells, for example, to release material from the shells when they are fully opened. Due to the high opening and closing speed, this works very well with the GS. However, it is no longer necessary when using the additionally available ejector. The precise placement of sand or gravel, for example, by means of fast opening and closing can also be carried out without restriction.
Horizontal cylinder (GL):
- Available as fixed attachment
- Grab has a lower height than GS
- Complete opening causes a doubling of the outer dimensions
- Excavated material or bulk material is compressed into the shell when closing – excess material is compressed, unable to come out over the top edge
- Accessories: Softgrip, Pipegrip, Swing Damper for swinging mount versions
- Application: Combination of digging and loading work (digging sandy soil, setting larger stones, e.g. setting a natural stone wall incl. subsequent backfilling with crushed stone etc.)
Vertical cylinder (GS):
- Exclusively available as swinging mount grab
- Grab is higher than GL (deeper digging depth, higher closing force)
- Identical outer dimensions in open and closed state (dimension and volume)
- Volume is not compressed during closing – excess material falls out over the top edge
- Accessories: Softgrip, Ejector, Swing Damper (due to the high opening force, Pipegrip is not applicable as an accessory)
- Application: Digging work of all kinds, can be used in confined spaces due to compact design (shafts, canal work, etc.), with Ejector also in cohesive soil (earth, clay, etc.)
The tool exchange only requires one person and can be completed in a couple of minutes.
The BF has a pressureless return line. This does not require a second hydraulic circuit.
We are often asked whether or not the opening and closing force of the grabs is too strong for gripping manhole rings and other objects. Extensive internal tests, a risk assessment by TÜV Süd and a declaration of conformity ensure safe use here. In addition, when clamping manhole rings with Pipegrip, there is no need for people to be in the area of risk at any time. This creates additional safety.
Yes, since 2020 it is possible to retrofit the AG versions up to 9 t service weight with a Tooth Conversion Kit. The cutting edges of the grab are replaced by screw-on blades with teeth. This also enables the use of Softgrip and Pipegrip as with all other grabs up to 9 t. The Tooth Conversion Kit is also compatible with older generations of the AG.
Yes, since 2020, an Edge Conversion Kit can be retrofitted for the SG up to 9 t service weight. The teeth of the grab are replaced by cutting edges. This enables the additional use as demolition grapple.
- For the conversion with cutting edges, only Sorting Grabs of the generations from 2020 onwards are compatible, as pre-drilled holes in the bottom of the shell are required.
- The set is available for sorting grabs up to 9 t, as there is currently no demand for larger models.
According to a TÜV statement available to us, there is no regulation governing the overlapping grab shells.